Industrial photo Display for father's Day
If you have a unique gift for Father’s day, the hardware store photo display fits the bill. It’s so industrial looking, it works with any decor!
As you know, if you’ve followed my projects here on Mod conglomeration of rocks or on my blog, Cheltenham Road, sometimes I go to Home Depot with a master plan for what I’m going to make it and sometimes I just go and wander through the aisles, and ATeam-like the one you see when a plan comes together.
This time I wanted to see if I might could do something with galvanized pipes, which are fun to make for father’s day.
Affordable, versatile and easy was the goal – and as I played around with the different fittings, I started to see a kind of sculptural photo display that would look cool on a Desk or shelf.
industrial photo display
2 (two) 3/8″ zinc Plated ground zinc Plated flanges
2 (two) 3/8″ tea-connectors
1 (one) 3/8″ 3″ (long) Galvanized-steel-pipe-nipple
1 (one) 3/8″ by 5″ (long) Galvanized-steel-pipe-nipple
4 (four) Outlet Cover blanks
glue (Gorilla Glue, E-6000, Super glue, etc.)
rag (for staining)
(the photo is missing a T-connector and a power socket with cover…I was the experiment)
The galvanized pipes and flanges are in the plumbing section of Home Depot. The outlet cover blanks are in the electrical area.
My wood base is from Michaels but, of course, each piece of wood would work.
First up I have the wood base colored and set them aside to dry.
The outlet cover blanks measured, 2.5″ width of 4.25″. After my photos out on the computer, I trimmed them down about 1/16″, which is smaller than the dimensions for the blank because I wanted to space a little game, when I decoupaged them into place.
I smoothed out any bubbles or wrinkles with your fingers and wiping the excess Mod hodgepodge that had squeezed out.
After about 20 minutes I gave the photos a sealing top coat of decoupage (I used Matte MP but gloss would give them stand out a bit, if you’d like).
as soon As the images I pasted are dry enough (about 30 minutes), the outlet cover spaces on both sides of the T-connector and let the glue dry thoroughly.
in order To screw the floor flanges into place easier, I marked and drilled the holes in the wooden base.
Now it was a simple threading of the Tee-connections on the pipes and the pipes to the flanges and screw them into place.
The total cost for all the parts was less than $added 20 (I had the glue and screws on hand) and I think that the basic idea in a lot of different ways.
There are hundreds of connectors available so that you have a giant could stand or perhaps a metal family tree!
As always, if you have any questions, don’hesitate to ask. Don’t forget to visit me on my blog, Etsy, or on Facebook.